News Junkie Canada

To Stimulate Debate in Canada: News, Commentary, Analyses, Links and Favourite Columnists
Spacer

No subject should be outside the realm of debate in a democratic society.

Spacer

News, Commentary, Analyses, Links and Favourite Columnists

Spacer
Spacer
Archive:
Spacer
Visit the archive
Spacer
Links:
Spacer

 

Spacer
Powered by Blogger Pro™

October 09, 2003



CA-PC Merger Talks Dead According to McKay

This came from Canadian Press.

OTTAWA - Conservative Leader Peter MacKay began today to eulogize the attempted partnership with the Canadian Alliance in the surest sign yet that the latest unite-the-right process is all but dead.

MacKay and Alliance Leader Stephen Harper met face-to-face for about two hours late yesterday in Toronto but were unable to break a log-jam over leadership selection that has stalled a team of negotiators for weeks.

"We came to the same impasse," MacKay said today.

He said no further meeting has yet been scheduled with Harper and wasn't sure one would take place.

[. . . .]

Yesterday marked the first tete-a-tete between the leaders following weeks of talks between emissaries that failed to bridge what one negotiator called "philosophical differences."

[. . . .]

But the difference remains over whether to run a new party on the basis of grassroots populism, as favoured by the Alliance, or the brokerage politics of the Tories

[. . . .]

The Alliance is prepared to use a riding system - rather than its current one-member, one-vote - but only if it gives far greater weightto ridings with large party memberships.


Ego! What a shame! I hope Mulroney and Harris can get together with the two of them and convince both Harper and McKay to find a way. NJC

Update from the Canukistanian -- and it is bang on!

Late Entry: Some People Can Be SO Stupid!

I have ONE view on this situation. If "Red Tories" DON'T get the hell out of the way -- I want to stomp them right into the pavement!
That may sound extreme but these "yucks" fail to understand that there is a very real war going on. We just buried two of our own yesterday. I am so angry that if I were confronted by MacKay right at this point I'd put his lights out!

"Peter MacKay -- you make a point of noting this. I don't give a damn what your personal politics are. You start to get your shit together and fast. My country means much more to me than a bunch of Red Tories and I would bury you all tomorrow if Canada could get back on track.

You disgust me!"

I feel much better now -- I've ranted a bit -- let off some steam -- and "Peter Pipsqueak" had better NOT come anywhere near me anytime soon.

He's a Joe Clark in sheep's clothing and I despise him because he has put his party before Canada and THAT I cannot abide.

If the Tories don't merge I say BURY them!





Comments: Post a Comment

PicoSearch